Sunday, April 14, 2013

Illustrators of the Future Contest


Last year I won the Illustrators of the Future contest. They hold a writer's contest as well, and every year they commission each illustration winner to illustrate one of the winning writer's stories.

I was very lucky to illustrate Alisa Alering's All You Have Seen, which was a beautiful ghost story set in war-time Korea. You can read it (and see my illustration in print!) in Writers of the Future Volume 29, which should be purchasable soon at http://www.writersofthefuture.com.

I'm currently in a week-long series of workshops and awards ceremony for the contest winners, so when I get home I'll make an update with info on how to get the book. ;)

As with any illustration, this project went through several thumbnails before the client and I arrived on our final decision.

As you can see, some of these are easier to read than others. Finding an easy read was part of the process, definitely. But once a sketch was decided on, I blew it up to print size in photoshop and started working directly on the final.

5 comments:

  1. I love seeing the thumbnails! The grayscale composition pieces are lovely. Great job on the final illustration, by the way! And congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was great meeting you at the ceremony! (:

      Delete
    2. Great meeting you, too! I'm seriously favoriting (is that a word?) your site here, and I can't wait to see what you come up with next. Lovely, lovely work.

      -- Jake

      Delete
  2. It's got a great final effect with those pastel-y textures and edges. Color scheme is appropriately chilling too. Very very cool!

    ReplyDelete