Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Background Painting

This was such an incredible class. Lou Police is an incredible mentor, definitely one of the best teachers I've had here at LCAD.

The way his class works is you pick an existing story and change the setting or era. You pick an artist or two as your aesthetic touchstone(s) and design backgrounds based on significant points in the story. I set the biblical story of Moses (prior to Mt Sinai) in 15th/16th centuryish southwestern Germany, in the Alps and Black Forest. My touchstones were Samurai Jack backgrounds and a little bit of Eyvind Earle.

This first background is after Moses has killed someone and left his adoptive home for the desert.


I started with ten very rough thumbnails and narrowed them down to my favorites:


And then made more concrete decisions.


The second story point is where Moses comes across a burning tree and speaks with God.




My third piece is of Moses' mother leaving him in a basket in the river.




And finally, Moses parts the Alps.



For this piece I didn't have a clear idea in my head of what the color palette would be like, nor could I find reference for mountains splitting down the middle, haha. I did a lot of color exploration as a result:

No comments:

Post a Comment